Hedgehog Awareness Week runs from 1st – 7th May 2022, it is organised by the British Hedgehog Preservation Society and takes place every year. It aims to highlight the problems hedgehogs face and how you can help them.
This year we are celebrating the 40th Birthday of BHPS and asking people to grant hedgehoggy birthday wishes!
- Make a Hedgehog Highway in Fences – 5” x 5” (13 x 13cm) square gaps in the bottom of fences or walls should do it! Once created you can log these on the BIG Hedgehog Map at www.bighedgehogmap.org
- Create an undisturbed log pile that will offer shelter and food.
- Buy or build a Hedgehog Home (see plans at www.britishhedgehogs.org.uk/hedgehog-homes or contact us for a paper copy).
- Offer water and meaty cat or dog food for hedgehogs – you can even build a feeding station to help keep the food safe for hedgehogs (see plans on BHPS website or contact us for a paper copy)
- Check areas carefully before mowing or strimming.
- Ditch pesticides and poisons.
- Ensure there is an easy route out of ponds & pools.
- Create a wild corner – leave a corner or edge to go wild supplying shelter and natural food for hedgehogs in the form of bugs and grubs!
- Join BHPS (or if you are already a supporter – recruit someone else).
BHPS Chief Executive, Fay Vass, said: “Hedgehogs are struggling and mostly that’s due to human activity, these small actions can help a great deal, a little effort from each of us could make life a lot easier for hedgehogs! If you don’t have a garden yourself, you can still help by contacting public space managers, neighbours, family and friends to ensure they are doing their bit.”
BHPS is urging everyone to become a Hedgehog Champion for their area at Hedgehog Street – a project run by BHPS and People’s Trust for Endangered Species. Join over 105,000 Champions by signing up for free at: www.hedgehogstreet.org – you will get an email with top tips on how you can help hedgehogs each month and there’s even a Hedgehog Street app you can download from The App Store or Google Play!
BHPS is hoping to raise £2,000 during Hedgehog Awareness Week 2022, you can donate to the 2022 #hedgehogweek appeal at: www.justgiving.com/campaign/HAW22
Leaflets and posters are available on this website under ‘information’ or we can post paper copies out on request. A downloadable copy of the Hedgehog Awareness Week (HAW) poster is available by clicking below.