Hedgehog Awareness Week 2015
Hedgehog Awareness Week is organised by the British Hedgehog Preservation Society and takes place every year. It aims to highlight the problems hedgehogs face and how you can help them.
This year efforts are focussed on gardeners – there is so much that gardeners can do to help the hedgehog, very simple things like:
- Ensuring there is access into the garden (all that is needed is 5” square gap).
- Checking areas before strimming or mowing.
- Moving piles of rubbish to a new site before burning it.
- Ensuring netting is kept at a safe height.
- Checking compost heaps before digging the fork in.
- Stopping or reducing the amount of pesticides and poisons used.
- Covering drains or deep holes.
- Ensuring there is an easy route out of ponds and pools.
BHPS Chief Executive, Fay Vass, Said “There is so much the gardener can do to help hedgehogs, and with hedgehog numbers in decline it is more important now than ever. We have produced a poster highlighting dangers hedgehogs face in our gardens to mark this Hedgehog Awareness Week.” For a free copy of the poster or for membership details send an A5 sae to BHPS, Garden Dangers, Hedgehog House, Dhustone, Ludlow, SY8 3PL or see www.britishhedgehogs.org.uk.
We are asking people to pledge to do something positive for hedgehogs during the week.
Here are a few ideas of how you can help:
- Organise an event such as a cake sale, fun day, sponsored event, coffee morning or jumble sale.
- Display information (BHPS can provide) in your local Garden Centre, School, Library, etc.
- Contact your local newspaper or radio station and ask them to help hedgehogs by printing a letter from BHPS (we can provide a letter to the editor on request) or by arranging an interview with us during the week (ask them to call 01584 890 801).
- Post leaflets in your area letting people know how they can help hedgehogs (BHPS can provide leaflets).
If you are organising an event PLEASE let BHPS know as soon as possible so that we can keep a comprehensive list of events across the country.
Leaflets and posters are available on our website or we can post copies out on request.