The British Hedgehog Preservation Society (Registered Charity number 1164542) currently has two opportunities to join our board of Trustees. Please note that the positions are voluntary, though out of pocket expenses will be met.
- BHPS is a UK charity founded in 1982 dedicated to helping & protecting hedgehogs native to the UK.
- Visit www.britishhedgehogs.org.uk for more information on our work.
Trustee Role Purpose
As a trustee, you will be responsible for the overall governance and strategic direction of the Charity, developing its aims, objectives and goals in accordance with guidelines.
The trustees carry out business on behalf of the charity. In your role, as a trustee, you will help to protect the wealth and assets of the Charity. You will be legally responsible for the assets and debts of a trust.
We are particularly keen to hear from applicants with finance and fundraising experience, and would welcome all applicants with the appropriate skill set.
Trustee responsibilities include:
- Ensuring that the Charity complies with guidelines and legislation.
- Making sure that the Charity pursues its defined goals.
- Monitoring the financial position of the Charity and ensuring that it operates within its means and that there are clear lines of accountability for financial management
- Ensuring that the resources of the Charity are used only to pursue legitimate objectives.
- Contributing to the board of trustees’ role of providing strategic direction and supporting the development of policies, goals and targets.
- Maintaining the good name of the Charity.
- Making sure that the administration of the Charity is carried out efficiently.
- Ensuring the financial stability of the Charity.
- Scrutinising board papers and other communications.
- Using specific expertise to assist in certain areas.
- Participating in working groups as necessary.
- Attending seminars and networking events when required.
- Leading discussions and providing guidance on new initiatives, particularly in areas where the Trustee has specific skills, knowledge or expertise.
- Maintaining confidentiality about any sensitive or confidential information received in the course of duties as a trustee.
- Regularly attending and taking a full part in meetings. The board meets (on a Tuesday) in Worcestershire, once every quarter.
Skills and qualifications
We are seeking two new Trustees with specific skills and experience in finance and fundraising., In addition, Trustees are expected to have the following skills:
- Commitment to the goals and aims of the Charity.
- Dedication to the role and a willingness to devote the required time.
- The ability to make good independent judgements.
- Understanding the importance of carrying out required legal duties.
- Proven strategic abilities that can be used to create effective plans.
- Strength of character coupled with the ability to voice concerns and opinions.
- Proven experience working as a member of successful teams.
- Integrity and objectivity which can be applied to all aspects of the role.
If you are interested in applying to be a Trustee, please send a copy of your CV and a covering letter explaining what you can offer the Society to Fay Vass, CEO, BHPS, Hedgehog House, Dhustone, Ludlow, SY8 3PL (email firstname.lastname@example.org). Closing date 30th November 2021.